Caitlin: Spirit Lives On Through Others


Posted by Kevin Gover

Posted in News


The family of the 24-year old American student Caitlin Homan who died on Thursday 16 May at Southampton General Hospital a day after being struck by a car on the Stockbridge Road near Winchester say that her spirit will live on through others through organ transplant: “Although she did not survive, her decision to become an organ donor was honored. There is hope that as many as six or seven patients will be helped from her donation.”

Caitlin was a graduate student at the University of Portsmouth pursuing her PhD in Psychology. The focus of her research was on whether dogs could detect deception in humans, or as many of her supporters viewed it, whether dogs could be trained to let someone know when they detected deception.

Caitie was born and raised in Canton in Connecticut and graduated from Canton High School in 2006. She then attended University of Maine, graduating with majors in Wildlife Ecology and Psychology. During her summers there, she interned at a big cat sanctuary outside of Colorado Springs, CO. She also did two internships at the West Palm Beach Zoo in Florida.

After graduation, Caitie worked at the Lemur Conservation Foundation near Sarasota in Florida. She began as intern and progressed to Animal Care Specialist. During her time there, she completed two research studies investigating the lemurs’ understanding of transparent barriers.

The family says that her short time in England was bountiful: “While only attending University of Portsmouth for nine months, she had many wonderful friends among her colleagues in the Psychology department.

“She was known for her passion for animals and her sense of humor. There is hope that a means will be found to support someone to continue her research which is considered original and creative.

“The family gives many thanks to the police officials, hospital nurses and doctors, and her many colleagues for making this difficult time so much easier.”

Police continue to investigate the incident, and anyone with information is urged to call 101.